Saturday, September 22, 2007

Arsonist in Park Slope.

I live in an awesome neighborhood. Nice, tree lined streets, great restaurants, and generally its one of the safest neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Tonight was different though. While having a few beers on a friend's roof deck we saw smoke. We moved from roof to roof. My buddy called 911. A car was on fire across the street. I ran down stairs. I wasn't sure what I was planing on doing as I had no shoes on, but I wanted to make sure no one was inside. We were pretty sure the car was parked but... I got to the intersection and while I was moving through the building to the street a cop, whom had been driving by, was already on the scene. No one was in the car. I returned to the roof. The windows exploded out. Soon after the firemen arrived and we watched as the they put out the fire. Then we returned to our evening.

Later as we were walking home we saw another parked car that had clearly been on fire. I don't own a car but its frightening to think that there may be an arsonist in the neighborhood. Burning cars are dangerous enough but if they move on to buildings the potential devastation could be horrendous. The buildings around here are prewar, mostly wood and all attached to one another (for the length of the block).

No comments: