Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Creative Output



Other than this very hasty picture I just doodled, I haven't really created anything not work related in a while. This includes music, drawings, computer programs, writing, or even adventurous cooking. Basically I haven't been very creative in my spare time. I hope your own endeavors are coming along better than my own, and if they are find a way to post them here.

To get myself back into the swing of things I was considering working on covering some songs and putting together an EP of sorts (2-4 songs). I haven't ever had luck with covers in the past and I wasn't sure why. So I started cycling through some of my favorite songs for candidates and realized that there are songs that should be covered and those that shouldn't be. The cover-friendly variety all seemed to end up being the ones where the production wasn't the star, but instead the melody and lyrics shone. Conversely, the anti-cover songs were mostly perfect sounding and featured rhythm more prominantly. Also songs based around a very specific sounding instrumental riff weren't conducive either.

Looking back I had always tried to cover the wrong group, with songs like the Gap Band - You Dropped a Bomb On Me and Bad Company - Feel Like Making Love. I don't know why I felt the need to share this bit of personal insight, but there it is.

What songs would you cover for your own personal covers album?

5 comments:

Matt said...

"In My Time of Dying" is certainly one of them.

your friend ashley said...

1. don't worry about it so much. that won't help anything.

2. you have all the tools you need, so that's one worry gone.

3. you're still young.

4. matt and i are going to come sing with you. we're going to sing bob dylan. get ready.

your friend ashley said...

violent femmes: "add it up"

something by talking heads.

also:

something old.

something new.

(everything borrowed)

something blues.

Math fab Mathonwy said...

"Waterloo Sunset" (The Kinks)

Hey Jealousy said...

James Brown - It's a Man's World
Sam Cooke's Cupid
Notorious BIG - Gimme the loot
and a mash up of the thong song/I got a man and it wasn't me

ready...go!