Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Interesting reversal.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21864156-1702,00.html

From the article:

'British broadcaster Channel 4 defied Princes William and Harry's emotional plea, and hundreds of calls from concerned viewers, not to show the documentary Diana: The Witnesses in the Tunnel, saying it was a responsible film.'

and from: http://www.pr-inside.com/british-channel-to-air-documentary-on-r145494.htm

'Channel 4 said it would go ahead with the documentary despite pleas from Prince William and Prince Harry not to show pictures taken at the crash scene in Paris on Aug. 31, 1997.'

--------------------

I feel for the princes. Well a little. I hate the very concept of royalty. Maybe this is how my American Patriotism manifests, but make no mistake I do pity them. I also hate paparazzi nearly as much as royals. But my feelings on royalty paparazzi aside I find this very interesting.

I'm not sure how exactly to articulate my ideas on this. On the one hand the British Royal Family has been inundated with unwanted publicity for decades, but on the other I'm sensing a bit of a shift. This isn't the Star, this is Channel 4 that's airing the doc.

And its healthy. This was a public figure of immense (if to me somewhat baffling-just due to the scope) popularity whose death and the details surrounding it are of intense interest (again a little odd to me) to the British people. The event was a huge part of the national consciousness. It the will of the Royals vs. the will of the people.

Ok, I've been so busy at work that I've picked this up and put it down a couple of dozen times. My apologies for the half formed rant. And I admit I probably mainly feel this way because of how much I hate Prince Heinrich.

Here's a photo of awesome dude Prince Harry. Which he never personally apologized for. It'd be one thing for some shmoe to dress up like this, not really a big deal, but when you're perhaps the single most privilege person in the world and a prince to boot who's just joined Britain's most prestigious military academy it is a big freaking deal. If it was jest, that's not clear enough. He didn't do anything to indicate that it was jest. Unforgivable.

2 comments:

J*E*F^2 said...

I fixed the formatting on this post. I hope nobody minds if I do that in the future, but I hate seeing way too big text, huge spaces, buttons that don't do anything. Lets try to keep the blog clean looking.

The Missed Call Of Cthulhu said...

Yeah we should round up whoever posted this awful ugly blog and shoot them.