Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Whats Famous Bands Should Song Like

I found out about this little piece of heaven from a news article at Pitchfork that was posted there a few weeks ago, so there is an insanely high chance that you've heard of this before. I can't image it makes a difference, though. I can watch these videos at least 100 times in a row without getting bored. I've watched a lot of these, and these are some of my favorites.

So Microsoft (purveyor of problematic operating systems, victim of antitrust, slayer of Netscape) released an interesting piece of software a while back called Songsmith. The idea is you're supposed to sing into a microphone and Songsmith provides the backing music. The internet being what it is, people decided to put acapella tracks of famous songs into Songsmith to see what it would come up with. Well, it came up with brilliance.

First up is a loungey take on Running With the Devil by Van Halen. Diamond Dave's ad libs really make this.


Then the Police take a trip to the islands, mon!


I'm not really sure what style of music this is, but ho-boy does it sound funky and dangerous. Michael Jackson, it's time to Beat It.


I'll finish this up with a song that Songsmith actually makes more awesome than the original version. Doobie Brothers - Long Train Runnin'

4 comments:

Tim said...

Thanks for linking to my videos! Glad you liked them :-)

Old Greg said...

i love the new songs. tim creeps me out.

Matt said...

Do you have this program?

J*E*F^2 said...

I want to apologize for the horrendous spelling in grammar in this post. I wrote it too fast, and just re-read it. I mean, even the title doesn't make sense.

Guys, a famous person just visited and commented on our blog. We've arrived, baby!

And Matt, I don't have this, but there's a free sample you can download at the site that I'd like to check out eventually.