Saturday, February 7, 2009

Neo-Depression Era Foodie

I was hungry tonight, as I frequently am, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money. Solution? Off-brand saltines, tin of anchovies, thing of humus. Total value? $3.30. (I only ate two thirds of one sleeve of saltines and half the thing of humus.)

My review: Good Christ that was salty! Jesus. Salt is less salty. And the f*ck is with all these little ass bones?! Ugh! That being said, I'm reasonably satisfied. It tasted pretty good (I like anchovies and capers, $1.50 a tin) even though the little bones were a real pain. Still though, for $3.30 I could go to Wendy's and get two Jr. Bacon burgers and side of fries and still have $0.30's left over.

If you're a hobo, the upshot of a tin of anchovies is that it lasts. If you're still a home inhabitor (despite the down turn) than you may wish to stick with something else.

4 comments:

Old Greg said...

scooter you just eat the bones, and they are actually a good source of calcium. as a new hobo you're gonna have to learn the tricks of the trade.

J*E*F^2 said...

No disrespect towards Dan, but the first step of getting your hobo credentials together is to learn how to fashion and wield a sharp stick or rusty can knife. Hobos are notoriously competitive and some hobo gangs actually initiate via stick fights. But after that, Scott, you really need to learn how to eat bones.

Math fab Mathonwy said...

Just put some vinegar on it! Sardines are a good hobo alternative to salty anchoviez. I find that Wendy's isn't really food, but a virtual reality were it just feels like eating food. That doesn't mean I don't want to eat it.

The Missed Call Of Cthulhu said...

Sardines are even cheaper. I'll give them a try and report back, but as this weekend is valentine's day, and the Mrs. has forbidden me to kiss her after eating this stuff, it might be a while.